Sunday, August 21, 2011

Kefir

After a week and a half of sleeping in the fridge my dairy grains seem to be doing ok. I am giving the mother cat the kefir milk each day for a couple more days. She could use it anyway, with all those kittens to feed :) Tikva's milk has dropped quite a bit since we were away. I think she has begun to wean Erev. Maybe soon we'll milk her twice daily and see if that helps build it back up. The spring green is on its way and that should help also. Sufa is looking plump. She'll kid in november.


Here's is my water kefir. I'm using local oranges at the moment with a bit of ginger and molasses. Jas kept it going for me while we were away. The last batch tastes quite alcoholic! I think it was left for a couple of days more than usual. There's probably too many oranges in this one but I'm keen to use them up before they start to turn :)


2 comments:

  1. Mmmm...your water kefir looks delicious! And sounds wonderful too! Sometimes while being pregnant I crave a good beer...but your water kefir looks even more tempting! I'll have to get some from my friend here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the water kefir will satisfy your beer cravings, Betz. The advice I was given to add a little molasses has multiplied my grains beyond belief! I think I probabaly have 10 times more than when I started about 2 months ago!

    ReplyDelete